Telecommunications Fiber Optic Technician
Waitsfield and Champlain Valley Telecom (WCVT), a Vermont based telecommunications solutions provider located in central Vermont, in partnership with NEK Broadband is seeking a qualified Telecommunications Fiber Optic Technician to join our team. Responsibilities include installing, repairing, and maintaining fiber optic facilities and equipment in support of voice, video, and broadband wired and wireless facilities throughout several locations within WCVT and NEK’s respective service territories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, configures, repairs, and maintains fiber optic facilities for customers that includes out-plant cable, CATx rated wiring, RJ series jacks with certification, fiber optic devices, and WiFi as required.
- Maintains plant operations through activities which include troubleshooting, splicing, and replacements as necessary, by means of fault location for both buried and aerial facilities, and the creation of job reports.
- Tests and maintains subscriber carrier equipment.
- Reports changes to maps, defective equipment, or plant discrepancies.
- Responsible for maintaining assigned vehicle, tools, and test equipment.
- Ensures all work is done according to quality standards, always complying with proper safety standards/procedures and work practices according to WCVT or OSHA/VOSHA, whichever standard is higher.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment:
- Lifting up to 100 lbs.
- Requires frequent periods of lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving objects, as well as frequent periods of walking, sitting, standing, and crouching.
- Ability to frequently climb ladders and telephone poles, with the ability to work aloft for extended periods of time, when performing the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work away from roadways in remote areas across rough terrain while carrying heavy loads.
- Frequently exposed to varying environmental conditions due to outside working environment; must have the ability to work in all temperatures, climates, and weather conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus two or more years’ experience in telephony installation, repair, and maintenance, or relevant related experience.
- Certification in Telecommunications, as well as experience working with, or extensive training on fiber optic cable, fiber optic splicing equipment, OTDR, WiFi technology, outside facilities and customer premise equipment preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to install and repair fiber optic cable and associated equipment with the ability to setup and operate power tools, electronic testing equipment, and heavy equipment such as a bucket truck.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when observing equipment installations and making repairs and maintaining logs.
- Visual acuity and ability to discriminate colors and see objects when splicing wires, reading warning lights, and working with alpha and numeric figures.
- Ability to frequently perform difficult manipulative skills such as operating tools, wire splicing, calibrating sensitive equipment, etc.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills required to maintain productive internal and external relationships.
- Computer skills necessary including familiarity with Windows, as well as the ability learn and frequently use mapping programs and customer database applications.